Thursday, November 15, 2012

Honing my craft

I picked up a few books on writing last week at the library. That's not why I went there, but that's beside the point. Okay, I went there to look up agent names to try that avenue once again. I've yet to do anything with the few names I found. I can't get it out of my head that it's a complete waste of my time. Also, writing those query letters is a daunting task. I'd rather write a 100,000-word novel than a one-page document describing my 100,000-word novel. Doesn't sound easy, does it? Back to the books about writing. I'm currently reading, "Words Fail Me," by Patricia T. O'Conner. The book doesn't necessarily tell me anything new, but it contains a lot of helpful reminders. It contains examples of good and bad writing, a list of words that take up space rather than add meaning, and tips on how to organize my thoughts. I also like that she thinks everyone has the potential to be a good writer if they put enough time and energy into it. Like anything else in life, it's all what you make of it. I thoroughly hate cliches, but it is what it is. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment