Thursday, November 8, 2012

He almost did it again

My son almost did it again. His assignment last night for social studies was to interview two adults about their jobs and the responsibilities that went along with them. The evening started the way a similar conversation did four years ago, a conversation that was published in Rochester Women magazine. Four years ago I hadn't started writing books yet so in his eyes I was "just a stay-at-home mom." It hurt to hear him say I didn't do anything and that I didn't have a job. I got past it...sort of. To hear him say that writing wasn't a real job about killed me last night. I work way too hard to be told that. Just because I don't have publishers knocking down my door and I don't make double digits each month doesn't mean writing isn't a job. Anyway, he redeemed himself later saying that since James Patterson was a popular writer it must be okay. Whatever. I put on my fake smile and answered his questions. He, being a pretty good writer himself, used words and phrases to make my "job" sound more exciting. Obviously, I have some issues with my status in life for whatever reason. It's on my list of things to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment