Monday, October 22, 2012

Like Water for Chocolate

"Like Water for Chocolate" is another one of my favorite reads so I'm alternating between reading that and "Dakota: A Spiritual Geography." These books are so different in every way that it won't be a problem getting the two mixed up. "Dakota" is pretty serious and really makes me reflect on the world I grew up in. I'm reminded of the bond I share with other Dakotans having endured countless snowstorms with white-out conditions and preferring a less crowded existence over big city life. I'm certainly enjoying the book much more now that I'm older. In college, I had no appreciation for the land and its people and I didn't want to share similarities. Now, I'm proud to say I'm from the region.

"Like Water for Chocolate" is a tall tale of sorts that requires you to open your imagination. It's fun, silly, yet incredibly endearing. I've only just begun again, but knowing all that lies within keeps me turning the pages. It reminds me of one of my favorite movies too and not just because of the title. The movie is "Chocolate" with Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche. The book and movie have similar characteristics and if you haven't read or seen either, I highly encourage you to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment