Sunday, April 1, 2012

Plainsong by Kent Haruf

This blog isn't meant to be a book review site, but I'm completely into Plainsong by Kent Haruf that I thought I'd say a few words as to why I like it so much. First of all, Haruf does a tremendous job of developing his characters. They are interesting and real, which is very appealing to me. They are also in different stages of their lives so we hear of their separate struggles, although ultimately their struggles aren't all that different from one another. Lonlieness seems to be a common thread. Even surrounded by the people we love, we can still feel alone at times.

Haruf's writing style is also unique from most authors. The book doesn't include a single set of quotation marks while there is dialogue throughout. Many sentences are actually four or five sentences connected together by "and." I certainly couldn't get away with that. It works for him though. The flow and pace of the story is slow and steady, which is a good thing. I haven't been bored yet. I am incredibly curious to see how all the characters come together. I love stories that wrap everything up nice and neat so hopefully that is the case for this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment