Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A true passion

I've known for a long time that writing was a passion of mine. How do I know, you ask? Well, it might be because it simply makes me happy to tell a story that others will enjoy. It might also be because I find a character's reality more exciting than my own at times. Or it just might be that I feel like I've accomplished something at the end of the day when I am able to type a page or two of text. Before I started writing, I felt like I was missing something. I didn't see how I was contributing to society by writing user manuals for computers. Sure, some people needed those instructions and it made their day just a little bit better knowing that cable A went into port B. However, I would hear stories from my husband and other teacher friends about how they were impacting kids' lives on a daily basis. They went home every night knowing that the effort they put in at school benefited a child's life. I don't have what it takes to be a teacher, but like them, I wanted to create an impact too. Now, a writer doesn't impact a person the same way a teacher does, but I believe the stories they tell result in some sort of reaction from the reader. By creating characters that people can relate to, writers can help individuals break away from their own reality and help them express themselves through laughter or tears. By writing with emotion, writers elicit emotion, which is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment