Friday, February 15, 2013

Checking out the cozies

On my last trip to the library, I loaded up on books by the top "cozy" authors as according to a cozy website I recently discovered. I immediately noticed how different the covers were from the mysteries/thrillers I usually read. They are more playful and almost cartoonish. I'm only about 30 pages into my first one so it's too early to make judgement. So far I'm enjoying it. I'm really trying to see how my work compares--still trying to figure out where I belong. I've come a long way in my search, but I don't think it's quite complete. I'm actually shocked at how different my work is compared to what I read. When I first started writing, I was comparing myself to James Patterson and Sandra Brown. Hey, at least I aim high! Now, I realize how far off I was. My stories are gentler, more subdued. They include death and love, but not nearly to extent of how those popular writers portray it. Wherever I fit in, I truly enjoy the stories I write. A lot of thought goes into the characters I create because they are what interest me the most. I'll keep reading my "cozy" books and cross my fingers that I've finally found a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment