Sunday, December 30, 2012

Writing for the reader AND me

I like suspense. I like approachable, compassionate characters. I like relationships that are believable and ones that I want to continue to learn about even after I finish reading a book. I know I've read a great book when I'm yearning for what happens next. Having said all that, I need to keep myself on track with what I enjoy, with what appeals to me as a reader. For example, when I kept hearing friends and acquaintances talk about the "Fifty Shades Trilogy" I got it in my head that all readers wanted to read about sex. This led Kody to climb into bed with a character and I did my best to describe the scene. That is soooooo not me. I get embarrassed even saying the word sex, and then I think about my mom and grandma reading the book and it makes me feel sick inside. I don't know why I am the way I am, but that's just me. As I start back to work on book #3, I'll be sure to reread the explicit scene. Work is still delayed though. My kids need to show me something every other minute...

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer what a great blog! May I become a follower?

    Have a happy New Year!

    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete