Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Christmas Letter

Since the birth of my oldest son, who is now 12, I have written a Christmas letter. It's usually the type of letter that tells friends and family we don't see all that often what our family has been up to. The past few years I've gone outside the box a bit. I wrote a poem, quoted the kids, and then made the kids create original artwork. The artwork isn't going to happen this year -- they've all ready nixed that idea. The letter is on the verge of not happening either. I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't know why I can't write the letter. Well, part of the reason is because now I feel like I have to top the creativity of the last two years. Everyone was so impressed and since I'm claiming to be a writer, I have to make it good. Just like everything  else in the writing world, I have to make it unique. I have to make it stand out.

I do have one idea...a short story with my family as the characters. My only worry is that our recipients will be overwhelmed at receiving a 1-2 page letter filled with words and not pictures. It might get lost in the shuffle. Either way, this letter (if it even gets done) isn't going out before Christmas. Fa la la la la!

No comments:

Post a Comment