Monday, September 10, 2012

Character strengths

I've written a few times about character flaws and how it is the flaws that make a character unique. They are what make us all unique. However, it occurred to me while developing a character recently that it is also a character's strengths that set her or him apart from the crowd. I'm always so focused on defining the weaknesses in a character that I forget to balance things out by giving them some strengths. Or maybe it's just human nature to find the flaws first. I bet it takes you twice as long to name your own strengths than weaknesses. Sad, isn't it? But characters in fiction are supposed to have bigger-than-life flaws, making you really glad you aren't them. I can't help but think of the latest action movies. Can you imagine putting yourself in some of those predicaments? Not me. I sort of like my boring life. Sort of. Some days though I think it might be cool to be visited by an old friend that is certain I hold the key to some huge secret that will save the world from its doom at nightfall. Okay, so maybe that's taking it a bit far, but you know what I mean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment