Friday, June 1, 2012

Remember the audience

When brainstorming ideas for the next book I find myself going off in all sorts of directions, which is good, but I must also keep my audience in mind. I need to think about the readers that loved Missing Maggie and why they loved it. I need to pay attention to which characters they were drawn to and which parts of the plot they found less appealing. These readers are the ones that will most likely buy the next book, and in turn, tell their friends and family. If I stray too far from my original work, I fear I'll lose the small group of readers that are interested in my writing. With this being said, I'm rethinking Kody's next major client, Evelyn. I can still use her and I think I'm on the right path, but I'll tone down a few of her quirky traits. She will be as real as your next door neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment