Sunday, January 1, 2012

Writing groups

Writing groups. You either love 'em or hate 'em. I really can't make a statement either way because I'm not sure I gave our local group a fair chance. I went to a couple of the informal meetings and loved listening to the advice the other writers had to offer. They were also great listeners, and most could even finish my sentences. So, why do I no longer attend the meetings? Too much talk, not enough action. I found that the more I talked about writing, the less I actually wrote. Also, being with a group of writers that appeared to know what they were doing intimidated me. I scared myself into thinking that my writing wasn't good enough. I started to question all the time I had spent writing a book that perhaps no one but me might enjoy. After a stern talking to from my husband and a quick phone call to my mother, I "quit" the group and set myself back on the path that I had started. It turns out all I needed was the support of my family and friends. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment