Thursday, January 12, 2012

Wait for it...

Pacing is a struggle for me. My first draft of Missing Maggie was written like I was trying to finish two different races. The beginning was slow like a marathon (for me, at least) and the ending was like a 100-yard dash. It's partly because it took me three years to write, so by the time I figured out how the story was going to end I just wanted to get it over with. Now with this second novel, I'm about at the point where I can take off with it and finish the race in a dead sprint. That's not what I'm going to do though. I'm holding back. I'm using all the patience I can to refrain from speeding up my pace. I don't want to make the same mistake twice because it took me countless revisions to try to balance the story out. I still think Missing Maggie reads much quicker the second half. I guess I'd rather have that than the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment