Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Inspiration

My writing is inspired by various events that have happened in my life. Some events are fun, happy, devasting, and some are just plain, old sad. After learning of a loved ones death a few days ago, the first thing I did was type some ideas of how I could integrate the relationship I had with this man into one of my characters. I was sad and I found it soothing to write about my sadness. It wasn't until then that I realized I'd done the same thing several times before. I'd written an aritcle about the unfairness I felt by being a contract employee at a big corporation. I'd written another article when my son basically told me he didn't know what made me happy. I'd also started writing a book where the main character was an awkward teen who didn't know where she fit it.

Essentially, I write from the heart. In doing so, my goal is to create "real" characters that a reader can relate to. I love books that when I'm finished reading them I'm upset because I don't know what the character does next. Does she live happily ever after? Does she commit another crime? The plot is important, don't get me wrong, but in my opinion, the characters are what really make a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment